Dr. William Smith and Kenya M. Johnson discuss 5 factors to consider when you’re no longer a novice in the music industry and needing to shift your focus on other creative interests. These factors include:
- “Don’t throw the baby out with the water”- in other words, don’t lose touch with your primary talent and craft in music as it can still serve as a basis to what you may venture into next.
- Don’t be afraid to shift your focus
- Don’t get caught up in labels and finding the perfect title for what you want to do next
- Follow your bliss and passion
- Allow time for development in your new venture
While the discussion is geared primarily towards more seasoned independent artists, its also a wonderful guide for newer artists as they continue to grow and develop within today’s current music industry.